WHO DOES FURA REPRESENT?
The non-profit organization, FURA, filed a class action suit for employees of FUSD that retired before April 16, 2006 (the last collective bargaining agreement promising life time health benefits was ratified on that date) . The class action suit with FUSD was based on all collective bargaining agreements (1976- 2006) between FUSD and all employee bargaining units. There was unequivocal agreement in the testimonies of all the negotiators in collective bargaining units on both sides of the table and in documents submitted to the court. FURA obtained a judgment by Judge Franson that FUSD was obligated to supply lifetime health benefits for FUSD employees that had retired before April 16, 2006. FURA won because all the collective bargaining agreements before April 16, 2006 between FUSD and employee bargaining units guaranteed lifetime health benefits. The FURA lawyer and FUSD agreed to extend the date of the judgment to include all those who retired before September 1, 2006. FURA, therefore, has a fiduciary responsibility to represent only the ‘class action suit retirees’ and those who retired before September 1, 2006.
FURA MEMBER HEALTH RELATED QUESTION and ANSWERS — FAQ
MUCH OF THE MAIL THAT WE GET REGARDING FUSD RETIREE HEALTH BENEFITS IS SPECFIC TO EACH OF US, THEREFORE, IT IS IMPORTANT AND HELPFUL TO YOU TO CARRY THROUGH ON THE FOLLOWING SUGGESTIONS:
1. KEEP ALL FUSD HEALTH RELATED MAILINGS IN A SAFE PLACE, A FILE, BUCKET, etc. BUT NOT IN THE GARBAGE
2. READ THE MAILING AND DETERMINE IF THE COMMUNICATION IS RELAVENT TO YOU
3. KEEP THE TELEPHONE NUMBERS OF THE ORGANIZATIONS YOU DEAL WITH IN YOUR LOG
4. KEEP YOUR RELEVANT NUMBERS IN YOUR LOG –SOCIAL SECURITY, MEDICARE, GROUP, CLAIM NUMBER, RECORD DATE OF CONCERN
5. IF YOU NEED TO CONTACT ANY OF THE FOLLOWING – KEEP A LOG — RECORD THE FOLLOWING – DATE, TIME, WHAT ORGANIZATION YOU HAVE CALLED, WHO YOU ARE SPEAKING TO, WHAT QUESTION YOU ASKED AND WHAT RESPONSE DID YOU GET — IF YOU ARE SATISFIED OR NOT, INDICATE IT IN THE LOG. IF NOT SATISFIED ASK TO SPEAK TO THE SUPERVISOR – KEEP THE LOG AND KEEP GOING UP THE SUPERVISORY CHAIN UNTIL YOU UNDERSTAND EVEN IF NOT SATISFIED
QUESTION and ANSWERS
Q. I DON’T UNDERSTAND THE MAILER I GOT FROM FUSD AND /OR THE (JHMB) JOINT HEALTH MANANAGEMENT BOARD
A. CALL FUSD BENEFITS OFFICE—559-457-3520 HAVE ALL YOUR HEATH CARE NUMBERS, QUESTIONS AND RELEVANT PAPER WORK WHEN YOU CALL
Q. DELTA HEALTH SYSTEMS COVERAGE?
A. CALL DELTA HEALTH SYSTEMS —1-800-807-0820—HAVE ALL YOUR HEATH CARE NUMBERS, QUESTIONS AND RELEVANT PAPER WORK WHEN YOU CALL
Q. ENVISION RXPLUS?
A. CALL ENVISION RXPLUS -–1-866-250-2005– HAVE ALL YOUR HEATH CARE NUMBERS, QUESTIONS AND RELEVANT PAPER WORK WHEN YOU CALL
A. CALL MEDICARE —1-800-633-4227– HAVE ALL YOUR HEATH CARE NUMBERS, QUESTIONS AND RELEVANT PAPER WORK WHEN YOU CALL OR CALL YOUR LOCAL MEDICARE OFFICE & MAKE AN APPOINTMENT — THEY CAN HELP YOU
Q. A LEGAL QUESTION?
A. ONLY THE FURA BOARD CAN AUTHORIZE EXPENDITURE OF FURA FUNDS FOR LEGAL ADVICE/SERVICES THAT EFFECT A PERPONDERANCE OF THOSE RETIREES OF FUSD WHO RETIRED BEFORE SEPTEMBER 1, 2006.
FURA DOES NOT GIVE LEGAL ADVICE NOR RECOMMEND A LAWYER. ANY REQUEST FOR LEGAL ADVICE FROM FURA LAWYERS BY A FURA COVERED RETIREE WILL BE PAID BY THAT RETIREE AT THE PREVAILING RATE OF ($200.-$500 PER HOUR).