Who said that lightning doesn’t strike twice?
The Los Angeles Unified School District board will vote next Tuesday evening on the “last and best offer” re: negotiations between LAUSD and the United Teachers of LA (UTLA). Here’s a sample how retirees in LA may be in the same boat as FUSD retirees: only worse!
- Effective with the 2009 calendar year, LA USD will pay the full cost of medical benefits UP TO THE COST OF A MID PRICED HMO PLAN per employee or retiree.
- What is the mid priced HMO? You guessed it: KAISER. This may end up costing each retiree as least $3,600. What do you think the cost will be in five years? I read the plan and didn’t see anything about prescription plans.
- If a retiree wants more than the mid priced HMO, the retiree must pay the difference
- For retirees on Medicare, then Kaiser is not the mid priced HMO but rather Health Net.
- Everyone pays if this proposal is adopted by the LA USD board of education. Is your STRS or PERS benefit increasing by $3,600 per year? Uh, huh, no way. But, keep paying for health regardless of what prior contracts have promised.
- RETIREES WHO WISH TO PURCHASE A MEDICAL PLAN THAT IS MORE EXPENSIVE THAN THE MID PRICE HMO PRICE SHALL PAY THE DIFFERENCE IN COST BETWEEN SUCH PLAN AND THE MID PRICED HMO THROUGH AUTOMATIC DEDUCTIONS FROM STRS OR PERS MONTHLY OR THROUGH AN ALTERNATIVE BILLING SERVICE. (I’m quoting LA USD’d last best offer on the table to the LA union)
- And…with new hires after January l, 2009, there aren’t life time benefits. LA will pay until the employee reaches 65 and then NOTHING.